Tricky fluffy-white Myxo

Es gibt 2 Antworten in diesem Thema, welches 456 mal aufgerufen wurde. Der letzte Beitrag () ist von Steve_mt.

• I have a small collection of 18 myxocarps of what looks like to be a Diderma for its amorphous lime covering on the peridium, but nothing is matching in the genus (or Didymium) and the large lime granules indeed suggest to be a Physarum instead.

Description:

Gregarious, spherical (slightly compressed) myxocarps about 0.7 - 1.0 mm wide, sessile or a very tiny stalk (more a continuation of the plasmodium). I could not find a columella (quite sure it is absent) and not sure if the peridium is a single or double layer but I just saw a very thin membranous single layer on which the lime granules are sitting on. Capillitium lime granules large, angular, Y-shaped or lobed, bulky.

Spores 9-12 um, minutely and regularly spinose (short), without obvious ridges or dark edges, strangely many are collapsed and non viable.

There is indeed Physarum didermoides with spores 12-16um and P. diderma with spores 9-11um, but these are double-layered peridium and I can't really detect it. Also the outer lime of these two species is more cemented rather than fluffy. In the section of single-layer peridia, I have considered P. licheniforme but they are described to be smaller (up to 0.6mm) and on grass, P. ovisporum but I cant detect easily a pale line; P. cinereum but this grows on grass and leaves and P. daamsii, but this is a much smaller species (0.5mm max) and peridial lime is different.

So I am quite blocked on this finding.

• Hi Steve,

The fluffy white surface comes from a mold.

Unfortunately, the fruit bodies are moldy.

One therefore does not see the peridy of the myxomycetes.

However, the capillitium with the large lime structures inside the fruit bodies looks very much like Badhamia.

But I can't name the species more precisely based on the photos. When it comes to spore size, several types come into question.

Greetings Ulla

• Yes, I noticed that it was a little mouldy (I examined the best specimens) and probably the deflated spores is also another symptom but I did not know that it produce that 'fluffy' effect and that it renders the sample in a very bad state beyond identification. Good to learn this - tnx.

Yet maybe u are right and seems that I can't visualize the difference between the Badhamia and Physarum lime granules in the capillitium. I thought those in Badhamia are in the form of tubules and those of Physarum are bulky / blocky granules like the specimen here. From your comments I have it wrong and I really need to learn between the Badhamia granules and the Physarum granules because it is an important element in my keys too.

I don't know if you can mentor me in this regards

Best LG

Steve